Thursday, December 27, 2012

Willpower and Lists

Thursday 12/27/12

Christmas is over but there is still too much food at my house to to even think about getting back on track again.  2013 is going to be about Willpower for me.  I even just picked up a book at the library about  Willpower...hope it helps me stay away from the damn gingerbread cookies.  I ate 6 of them last night!  Not because I really wanted them, mostly just because they were there.  Major fail!  I feel terrible too.  Not the guilt factor so much but the physical heaviness and major slow down.  My muscles feel like they weigh a million pounds when I try to workout.  With as much as I have eaten, maybe they do weigh that much.  I haven't been on the scale but I can tell it's definitely going in the wrong direction!  Yikes! The one thing that I am doing right is sticking to my training schedule.  I even ran on Christmas Day.  4.6 miles to be exact.  I needed that.  I won't lie either, I was feeling pretty superior as I was out there running, knowing that very few people make a Christmas Day workout a priority.  I also got a run in today, in the snow.  Luckily we did not get as much snow as was predicted (highly unusual for our forecasters...NOT).  So, my midday run today was only slightly sloppy.  I had to pay attention to the slushy areas, they were a little slippery but overall it was a decent short run.  I don't mind the snow usually.  As long as it doesn't come with too much wind.  I also sent in my registration today for the race.  The price goes up on January 1.  I wanted to get mine in before the price increased.  Now I am 100% committed to finishing the race since I really hate to waste money.  There's no turning back now.

I have a new obsession.  It is with lists.  I am going to journal my way through 2013 using lists.  Lists of great songs that inspired me through my life, lists of places I'd like to visit (maybe with some pictures on that one too), lists of books I wanna read, movies that have impacted me, great one liners from those movies, moments that have changed the course of my life, people who have influenced me, lessons I've learned, funny-isms my kids have said, races I've run, etc...I've been a pretty avid journaler for about 8 years now but this year I want it to be a little more fun and a lot  more meaningful, instead of just me vomiting all my petty grievances on paper.  Hence, fun with lists is the theme for 2013.

So far, physically I am holding up pretty good with my training.  I do suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome and it seems to be plaguing me (and my poor husband) more than usual lately.  I was looking up some stuff on the Internet (because I have my Internet medical license you know) and found that magnesium and electrolyte deficiencies have been known contributors to RLS.  Hmmm, more Smart Water and Kelp for me.  Just kidding, almonds and cashews have a significant amount of magnesium too.  Let's see if I can get some natural relief.  I fear heavy medications because of the hangover effect of most of them.  I have to be alert and ready to go when I get up in the morning.  I have things to do and people to see!  Other than the RLS outbursts, my legs, hips and feet are holding up well under the training.  I start some strength training with Lindsay next week to improve my upper body and core.  I will get my eating back in line before then or paying for those personal training sessions will be a big waste of time and money.


Tuesday (Christmas Day): 4.61 miles; 49:14; 10:40pace;439calories

Thursday: 3.25miles; 34:12; 10:31pace; 307calories

No comments:

Post a Comment