Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ethics

Tuesday 11/20/12


Wikipedia Definition:
Ethics, also known as moral philosophy, is a branch of philosophy that involves systematizing, defending, and recommending concepts of right and wrong conduct.[1] It comes from the Greek word ethos, which means "character".

Today we had to participate in an ethics training at work.  It got me to thinking about the word ethics.  The word itself derives from the greek word character.  So, take it a step futher what does it mean to have character?  I went googling the word character.  There are a plethora of definitions for character.  Some referring to genetics, others to performances or roles in books, movies, plays, etc.  But the first definition I found is:

Character: The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/character#ixzz2CnDtBJag

Then I found another site that outlines the 6 Pillars of Character...
  1. Trustworthiness
  2. Respect
  3. Responsibility
  4. Fairness
  5. Caring
  6. Citizenship

There is enough information out there to thoroughly confuse anyone.  In my job there are 3  different "Codes Of Ethics" to be decyphered based on which official board has licensed you to perform the specific funtions of their areas of competencies.  Although they are similar in many respects, they are enough different for there to be no real clear answer to most any situation.  But we are expected to be proficeient in this less than specific area and make the decisions that will please not only the overseeing board but the agency we work for, our immediate supervisor and our coworkers.  But, no pressure.

Anyway, I digress.  What I really wanted to get to is our sense of personal character/ethics.  We all have a personal code of which we live by and sometimes attempt to force on others.  It happens to us as children.  We are expected to act in a manner in which our parents see fit or we recieve consequences.  Then it happens with our peers, our employers, our colleges, our partners and our own children.  But what is your TRUE character?  What are the things that you do or don't do on a daily basis that makes it easier to sleep at night?  What are the things that truly make your spirit hum?  What is it that you do when no one is looking?  It's easy to have character and practice ethics when others are around but who are you truly when you are alone?  Does the public you conflict with the private you?  What would compel you to compromise your character?

These are questions and answers that I deal with daily in the course of helping people find their way out of addiction and honor their authentic self.  If I can't be my authentic self (whether it's perceived as acceptable to those around me) then truly I am still locked in the same prison I was in as an active alcoholic/drug addict.  It's important to me to be me...ALWAYS, even when it rubs others the wrong way.  Not to say that I am rude to others or have no compassion for them.  It just means I will always be me.  Take me or leave me.  I'm okay with your choice and I'm even more okay with the choices that I have made for my life.  Even the ones that didn't quite work out as expected.  Every decision, situation, experience have contributed to the whole person that I am today.

Today I am a healer, a runner, an athlete, an example, a mentor, a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a teacher and most importantly a child of God.  And God doesn't make mistakes.

Training update:  My calf was feeling better this morning when I woke up, not 100% but better.   I did my usual Extreme workout and it was talking quietly but then at lunch when I ran it started talking a little louder.  Not as loud as Sunday and I held a good pace.  I am convinced it is just a simple inflamation and will spend the evening icing and massaging.  Preparing for the Trotting of the Turkey bright and early Thursday morning.  My goal is to run that 10K in under 60 minutes (even if it is 59:58).  Wish me (and my right calf) luck.


November 20, 2012

Foods

CaloriesCarbsFatProteinCholestSodiumSugarsFiber
Breakfast
Herbalife 24 - Prepare, 2 scoops608g0g0g0mg100mg0g0g
Coffee W/Cream - French Vanilla, 1 Tbsp376g2g0g0mg30mg6g0g
Herbalife - Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Shake Extra Pdm, 1 shkae3400g0g32g0mg0mg0g0g
Lunch
Herbalife - Protein Drink Mix - Vanilla Rs, 1.5 Tablespoons834g2g11g0mg255mg1g0g
Herbalife Healthy Meal Shake Mix - Nutritional Shake Mix 2 Scoop of Protein Powder, 21 g834g2g11g0mg255mg1g0g
Fruit, Raw - Orange, 131 grams6215g0g1g0mg0mg12g3g
Hersheys - Milk Chocolate Cherry Cordial Kisses, 4 KISSES (42g)8013g3g1g2mg11mg12g0g
Dinner
Fresh - Tabouli Salad With Tomatoes, 4 oz569g2g2g0mg18mg2g2g
Malek - Lubia Pollo, 4 oz17426g3g10g23mg146mg1g0g
Elhams - Fatoush, 0.5 cup6810g3g2g0mg0mg0g0g
Grilled - Chicken Kabob, 5.6 oz (1 kabob)1892g3g6g91mg294mg0g0g
Um - Hummus, 4 ounces15021g5g7g0mg190mg3g5g
New York Style - All Natural Pita Chips Sea Salt, 11 pieces14019g6g3g0mg350mg0g1g
Graham Crackers Honey Maid - Graham Crackers, 1 crackers6512g2g1g0mg90mg4g1g
Hersheys - Milk Chocolate Cherry Cordial Kisses, 2 KISSES (42g)407g2g0g1mg6mg6g0g
Snacks
Peanut Butter - Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, 1 tablespoons954g8g4g0mg40mg2g1g
Celery - Fresh, 3 stalk156g0g0g0mg90mg3g3g
Act Ii - Butter Microwave Popcorn, 1 Cups254g1g0g0mg45mg0g1g
Biggby Coffee - Short Mint Mocha Hot Reduced Calorie (No Whip, Sugar Free, Non Fat Milk), 5 fl oz6713g0g4g2mg81mg7g0g
TOTAL:1,829183g44g95g119mg2,001mg60g17g

Exercises

CaloriesMinutesSetsRepsWeight
Cardiovascular
Circuit training, general30055
Running (jogging), 6 mph (10 min mile)27028
TOTALS:57083000



No comments:

Post a Comment