Monday, November 5, 2012

Super Heroes

Monday 11/5/12

It's funny the things that we lock on to at different times in our lives.  In my world, doing a marathon is a little like becoming a super hero.  Super heroes are typically weak or nerdy kind of people who have been exposed to some type of mutated scientific something and become extraordinary physically.  No, I didn't fall into a strange laboratory and come out with super powers (but wouldn't that be cool...especially if I could get a super power that psychically got my children to do what they were asked to do the first time).  Anyway, let me start from the beginning.  I have never been athletically inclined.  During my childhood and adolescence the only activities I participated in were roller skating and soccer.  Soccer was one of those things where the recreation league team needed 3 girls on the team so I got drafted by some friends.  I wasn't very good, but I wasnt' the worst.  I was just not athletically gifted.  I was usually one of the last kids to be picked for teams in gym class.  That's just how it was.  So, in 2006 I became very ill.  I was a chain smoker, an overweight overeater, and an angry divorcee.  Some things happened, a friend gave me a copy of the Secret in the spring 2007.  I watched it and decided to change somethings in my life.  I started making a real concerted effort to change my physical health and my emotional health.  I let go of some anger, forgave some people, and squashed some fear.  Then I got some tennis shoes and started walking (and a yoga mat and started breathing).  After about a year of walking everyday, I decided I might wanna try running.  I spent the next several months teaching myself to run and began to have a love affair with it.  I love running alone with nothing but my iPod.  It is one place I can truly be alone with God.  I worked up my mileage and in 2010 I completed a half-marathon.  I was amazed that I could run 13 miles.  Me.  Me, who wouldn't even run if someone was chasing me with rabid dogs and a shot gun.  So, for me to consider, plan for, and believe that I can make 26 miles...well, that's definitely super hero status. 

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I watched Avengers.  I love super hero movies,  I really relate to the underdog.  I had never seen Captain America, so we rented that this weekend and watched it.  Tonight I get home from work and the Incredible Hulk is on TV.  I get my inspiration from all over, this week it's from Marvel Comics.  I am my own super hero! 

Extreme results class, cross training day 354 calories.  Beginners Yoga class, 160 calories

Pre-workout: Banana, coffee
Breakfast: Protein smoothie with pineapple, strawberries, mango and 2 scoops of It Works Greens.
Midmorning Snack:  Cheez It's, Holiday grapes
Noon snack: String Cheese
Afternoon meal: Salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, feta, banana peppers, green peppers, pita chips and light greek dressing; orange; tall salted carmel mocha with non fat milk
dinner: Chicken Enchilada casserole, brown rice, green beans, earth balance butter; graham crackers

Looking forward to running tomorrow, even though it is only 40 degrees outside for a high temp.  Get the underarmor ready!  I love running in the colder temps.  That is not an exaggeration, I really do love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment